If you’ve just got engaged, chances are you’ll be raring to get to your nearest bridal fayre to have a look at what’s going on in the world of weddings. But there are so many fayres to choose from. How can you make sure you’re hitting the mark and not wasting time traipsing from one fayre to another with nothing to show but sore feet. I recently visited The Wedding Show at Tatton – probably the most prestigious wedding show in the North West. Set in it’s own marquee, there’s certainly a lot to see, so how do you get to see what you want without being overwhelmed? Here’s my top tips for a successful visit.
- Know your budget and set your priorities – it’s important to get an idea of your overall budget so that you know what you can allocate to each area before you start looking. By choosing which are your most important areas you can allocate more to the things that are important to you.
- Do your research – If you can get hold of an exhibitor list beforehand, try and have a look at the websites of the companies you are interested in before you get there. This way you get a feel for their style of work and you’ll know if they are right for you or not.
- Make a shortlist – make a list of the companies you really want to talk to so you don’t get sidetracked looking at things you may have already booked.
- Don’t be afraid to engage – exhibitors spend a lot of time and money on their displays and they really want to engage with you. Most people don’t do the big hard sell these days but they do want to talk to you to inform you about their services. Don’t just slip by and sneakily take a leaflet, take the time to chat.
- See the catwalk show – it might give you some dress ideas you hadn’t thought of.
- Drink lots of water – it can be hot and crowded so make sure you don’t get dehydrated
- Put sensible shoes on – you don’t want to be flagging half way round because you chose your Jimmy Choos over your Ugg boots.
- Don’t take leaflets of things you aren’t interested in just for the sake of it – it’s ok to say no thank you
- When you get home don’t dump your goody bag in the corner, never to see the light of day – have a quick flick through while things are fresh in your mind and set aside the leaflets of those companies you would like to pursue.
- Pour yourself a large glass of wine – you’ve earned it I love to go to Tatton to see who’s exhibiting and see some of the spectacular stands there are. Here are a few of my favourites from this year.
Pretty Little Trio Vintage China Hire
Absolutely beautiful original pieces of china to hire for your wedding. I have to say I would love to photograph a wedding where these had been hired. They are so stunning and so unique and Rebecca who runs the company is a delight to talk to. You can tell she is completely passionate about what she does.
Ice Cream Dub
I love this idea for a wedding – ice cream sold from a beautiful vintage VW Camper van or from a pashley trike. Sweet.
If you’ve ever viewed the weddings in OK magazine and looked in awe then this is the beautiful, inspiring decor that Springbank flowers provide. Their display in the Tenant’s Hall at Tatton was truly breathtaking.